Monday, January 4, 2016

Review: With Every Breath


With Every Breath


Author: Lia Riley
Publisher: Forever
Pages: Paperback, 288 pages
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: December 29th 2015




Summary:

BREATHE DEEP . . . AND JUMP IN
At the ends of the earth, Patagonia is a land where ambition trumps reason and the savage summit of La Aguja lures the most determined climbers. It's also the last spot a "play-it-safe girl" like Auden Woods expects to find herself. But she'll lace up her brand-new hiking boots and do whatever it takes to secure a dream job at an adventure magazine . . . even if it kills her. And it just might. When disaster strikes, her only chance at survival comes in the form of the surliest, sexiest mountaineer ever to come out of Scotland.

After a climbing accident cost him his brother, professional mountaineer Rhys MacAskill is at the end of his rope. Redemption is not in his future. That is, until a terrifying storm blows a budding journalist into his tent and it's up to him to make sure they both survive until morning. Despite the demons weighing on him, Rhys can't resist the temptation of the charming American and one wild night just isn't enough.

Auden and Rhys soon learn there are no shortcuts as they navigate their way between life, death, and atonement, and discover something they never expected—love.




Review:


With Every Breath kinda totally surprised me..
Well, don't misunderstand me. I had high expectations. This was written by Riley after all. The blurb sounded amazeballs
BUT what I didn't expect was how much it touched me.
First it's set here:


I always always wanted to go to Patagonia... But after reading this. I am obsessed. Full on, officially obsessed.
Then there is Rhys. And I guess I am a sucker for moody, grumpy bad boys, add to that melancholy and hot mountair and I am a goner.

The story line is unique in some ways. The romance though very insta everything. I mean their insta-lust is rather a bit too much. Their insta-love however, though it's really sudden, I kinda got that one. Especially since it's rather surprising to everyone involved.
Despite the insta-elements though, Riley does dig deeper and we get beautiful unique moments, which made me sigh. Literally.
The ups and downs of this, had me riveted and I was really invested by the end. In fact I love how Riley solved things. It wasn't a insta-HEA. It was much closer to the real deal This coming from someone who met her husband on a trip- and kinda got married on "a whim" a couple of months later and moved to the other side of the world. I guess that's why this story might have gotten to me as well. It's touched me on a personal level. I had some of my happiest moments in the mountains- being from Heidiland and all- hiking being still one of my favorite things to do. Being in the mountains is still one of the most awe inspiring experiences for me. And traveling an essential for my happiness.
So the setting was tailor made for my liking.

The character building was really good for Rhys and Auden. I liked some of the climbers as well. But I have to say that the villains are way to polarised and one sided. I didn't believe the siblings issues- well, I did because who doesn't have some siblings rivalry? I also liked that the twins weren't totally in tune, finishing each other's sentences and all that. BUT I found the viciousness of the rivalry too much. It felt over the top and more than that I simply didn't find it reasonable. It felt too fictional and to melodramatic, like Riley was stressing the point to have a point.
Rhys and Auden on the other side, had interesting growth, changed and I fell in love with both of them. Well, in the beginning I actually didn't like Auden much. I felt she was a crybaby and rather a spoilt brat even if she tried to stress how she wasn't. I felt she need to grow up and stand on her own feet... and through the journey she did. She did own up to her life, she did take responsibility and I really ended up loving her.
Rhys. SIGH!. Definitely a new BOOK BOYFRIEND there. He is amazing, totally annoyingly stubborn and a martyr, he at times needed a good smack- but I totally got why he was in that state. And again, just like Auden he did face things and work through it.
An amazing couple that felt real and believable.

The writing is what makes this so awesome.
Because Riley's description of Patagonia are incredible. But more so her descriptions of how Auden felt being in the mountains- just wow!
I feel like I was there, I just wanna be there.
Riley's strength is in the subtle moments and in conveying feelings in my opinion. Which is what touched me so much. Seriously. I am totally in love with Rhys and Patagonia, but more so I am in love with Riley's writing. I wish I could chat with her about her trip to Patagonia- and I would love to go on a trip with her. I maybe should mention, I am harmless, even if that sounds totally stalkerish. LOL. Just in awe of Riley's writing.

One of the best books of 2015 in my opinion.
A must read for lovers of the genre. BUT be warned, it might mean you going to have to visit Patagonia as well.... (my wanderlust has been unleashed and I can't seem to tone it down.)


Rating: 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...